On April 18, 1756, Easter Sunday, landed on the beach Santandria, next to the cove of Sa Caleta, twelve thousand French soldiers under the command of Marshal of France Duc de Richelieu, and brought in a powerful fleet by Admiral Marquis de la Galissonnière. The French were well received by the ciutadellencs and its authorities and, after singing a solemn Te Deum in the church of Santa Maria (now Cathedral of Menorca), the military expedition headed over Mao, to lay siege to the castle of San Felipe and causing Britain’s capitulation, signed on 29 June of that year.
Subsequently destroyed by the Spanish in 1782 the castle of Sant Felip and Sant Antoni, late eighteenth century when the British returned, 11 defensive towers built with the intention of protecting the beaches of the island of a possible enemy landing and gain time for the arrival of reinforcements.
Castellar de la Torre was one of them, the British decided to defend this place and on the northern shore of the entrance to the cove of Sa Caaleta to support the Castle of Sant Nicolau, at the mouth of the port of Ciutadella.
The tower, built of stone anerisca, sandstone, rose between 1799 and 1802, has a very original, its design is quite different from the other towers along the coast Menorca, following the model of Martello towers built in England to face the threat of the French led by Napoleon, and can say that this is the only British era building in Ciutadella. Its geographical coordinates are 39 ° 58 ’49.71 “N 3 º 49′ 53.72″ E.
The tower, circular, has a height of 8 meters and a diameter of 6, is embedded in the ground with a ditch 6 m wide which ends at an embankment or glacis. All the top parapet is like a brocket, open towards the entrance of the cove stands by a gunboat. In front of the guard there is a loophole that beats the entrance of the guardhouse. The defense system of the tower to face an attack from the ground it is a set of 12 loopholes, unprecedented in Menorca, beating around the pit.
The entrance to the tower is through an underground corridor, caponera, linking the ground floor gallery counterscarp beneath the glacis, which is the guard. The ground floor of the tower is 1 ’5 meter pit level.
On the terrace of Castellar de la Torre could install one or two pieces of artillery, and to be buried, as seen from the sea went completely unnoticed by the enemy ships, giving the feel of a small fort, which made her more dangerous and effective.